Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Gunpowder Falls Competition Recap

As the final bell rang Friday afternoon, Bryson and I made the journey down to the greater Hunt Valley area in Maryland. After meeting Doug later that night, who arrived around 2:00 that afternoon to practice for the competition, we embarked on a fairly interesting evening.

            After a wonderful dinner at a Hibachi Steak House, we carried on indulging on the luxuries of the Far East, more specifically Japanese candy. When the eventful evening was all but the next morning, the three of us decided to treat ourselves to a long, restful slumber.

            Waking up with a little over an hour of sleep, Doug, Bryson, and I ventured to the stream. We were attending the competition at the Gunpowder River, hosted by our teammate Jason, and for the most part we had mixed feelings about the competition.

 I for one was pumped and super hyped at the prospect of catching my first fish in a competition, despite my attempts in my previous two competitions. The seasoned US Youth Team members were so and so about the comp, and were just looking to catch fish and have a good time. I am sure our new team member Rob was hoping for a good finish to highlight his second comp.

However our perception and aspirations for this competition fell way short. The shortcomings were not the fault of the host; in fact this comp was ran extremely well. Yet there were what seemed to be limited numbers of fish, with very few to be had. That did not stop Bryson and Doug from catching two of the three fish scored the whole day. Bryson’s 14cm fish secured a third place finish for him, and Doug’s 24cm fish landed him second place. I would love to say I placed first, but once again I was skunked. Three comps an no fish, seems like a set back to most, but it only incites me to work harder. However I do find solace in the fact I double blanked along with eight other competitors, including Rob. None the less, we all had a good time.

            Our lack of trout on Saturday forced us to fish on Sunday, and our efforts were much more successful on one of our favorite stretches. All in all a good weekend, filled with a number of funny situations, lack of sleep, and a song called Fire and Ice.


Tightlines everyone - Alex Rundella

No comments:

Post a Comment